Our Story

One of the oldest hardware establishments in the Twin Cities, Gardner Hardware Company was founded in 1884 by H.B. Gardner. His three sons—H.M. Gardner, G.C. Gardner and E.P. Gardner—eventually took over the family business after he retired.

In 1951 Lawrence K. Healy, son-in-law of G.C. Gardner, took over the company. He remained at the helm until 1977, when he stepped down to take a less active role in the everyday running of the company. His son Stephen J. Healy took over as president and CEO.

After 127 years, the family continues to operate Gardner Hardware based on a longstanding family tradition of high-quality products and services and a commitment to fulfilling the needs of customers.

Located in the Heart of Downtown Minneapolis

In 1884 Gardner officially opened its doors to the Grant Street location. Gardner Hardware eventually moved to Fifth Street and then to the Boston Block Building (left), located on Third and Hennepin Avenue.

In 1940, Gardner Hardware moved to the Woolworth Building at 311 Nicollet Avenue. Twenty years later, as a result of the lower loop redevelopment, the company moved once again to its current home at 515 Washington Avenue North.

Gardner Hardware is committed to providing downtown Minneapolis and the surrounding metro area with quality products and services for all your hardware needs.